Sunday 7 September 2008

The First Horse


So soon we acquired Rhapsody in Blue (Blue for short) a 12 year old, 17 2h bay ex racehorse. He is extremely beautiful but quite nuts and I would not have been able to ride him even in my youth. So then when she went on holiday I was in charge of checking he was OK and making sure he had his rug on at night. Fortunately he is quite polite when you are catering to his needs, just highly strung if you were to lead him on the road or ride him.
About 12 months later I get an email asking me to help her. She had seen a website that rescued horses from French fattening farms where the horses are sent very inhumanely to Italy for slaughter. There was a particular horse on there that she had fallen in love with and could I buy himand bring him over and WE could look after him. He, allegedly, was 16h and cobby and would therefore be perfect for me after we had broken him in. It said on the site that he was used to being handled and was 5 years old.

No comments: