Monday 8 September 2008

And then nearly dies!

We were keeping him at a local farm as he should be in quarantine really after his trip. The vet came and gave him a good looking over and was quite impressed that he was so quite. I’m no expert at looking after horses but I am learning fast. Angela has taught me how to muck out and feed him and as I get up earlier than her it is my job to do the morning feeds.
We had been taking Pilgrim for walks down the lane but he was a pain as he wouldn’t do what he didn’t want to do and would just stop dead to eat grass and even though I’m not small, ¾ ton of horse can’t be moved if he doesn’t want to be! Anyway I went up one particular day to find him standing shivering in his stable covered in muck where he had been rolling on the floor of his stable. I got him out of the stable and saw that he was most unwell. He wanted to go down on the floor and I knew that that was a sign of colic and that horses could die of that and I forced him to walk to the sand school that is there so that he wouldn’t fall on the concrete yard and then I rang Angela

No comments: